Re: Bodhi critpath package updates now gated on openQA results

> On Wed, 2021-05-19 at 14:59 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2021-05-19 at 22:54 +0100, Pete Walter wrote:
> > > I waited over an hour on openQA test results that never came. Ended
> > > up waiving
> > > https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-8cdffadc43. After
> > > a bunch of searching I found https://openqa.fedoraproject.org but
> > > there was no indication that it had even started running the tests
> > > for this update.
> > >
> > > Frustrating experience.
> >
> > Sorry for the trouble. But there's obviously something odd there. The
> > gating is not intended to be active for Rawhide updates at all, because
> > we don't run the tests for Rawhide. It is only supposed to happen for
> > stable and Branched. I think it must be working this way most of the
> > time, or else Rawhide would've ground to a halt and there'd be a lot
> > more angry people.
> >
> > How did you create that update exactly? Was it from a side tag? Thanks!
>
> This is how most Rawhide updates look:
>
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-e0ea4205ef
>
> note it's not marked as a critpath update, and the gating status is
> 'ignored'...

Hmm. So, looking into this a bit...I think it's one of those cases
where things mostly "work" by mistake.

I think my intent/expectation was that Bodhi would query Greenwave with
product_version "fedora-rawhide" for Rawhide updates, and the policy is
crafted to not apply the gating to that version, and so everything
would be hunky dory.

But, uh, I don't think that's what happens. I think Bodhi queries
Greenwave for "fedora-35", because Bodhi is all set up to treat Rawhide
as "Fedora 35", that's what the release is called in Bodhi. But we
still don't happen to trigger the gating for *most* Rawhide updates
*because they don't seem to be considered critical path updates even
when they contain critical path packages*.

This gating stuff kicks in only for critpath updates (we set Bodhi to
use a different 'decision_context' for critpath and non-critpath
updates), because openQA only tests those. So we are just happening to
not apply gating to Rawhide updates because they almost never seem to
be tagged as critical path. That's kind of a fortunate accident,
though. It's not how it *should* work.

So I guess there are kinda two questions here:

1. Is it actually right that Rawhide auto-created updates with critpath
packages in them aren't marked as critpath? If not, we should fix that.

2. How can we best sensibly tweak things so we don't gate on Rawhide
updates that *do* get marked as critpath?

I'm going to think about #2 now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA