Re: Bodhi critpath package updates now gated on openQA results

V Tue, May 18, 2021 at 10:55:31AM -0500, Justin Forbes napsal(a):
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 08:38:29AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2021-05-18 at 08:26 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > > You reported my complaints as:
> > > https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/issues/4219. Thanks!
> > >
> > > I'm going to go ahead and ask that the gating be turned off until it's
> > > fixed. If it doesn't display accurate test results, it's not even close
> > > to being ready yet. Good gating is good, but bad gating is worse than
> > > no gating.
> >
> > I don't really think this is necessary? It's not really 'displaying'
> > anything inaccurate at any point. Just not totally clear. When the
> > tests aren't yet run it shows that some results are missing, which is
> > true. When they are finished it shows the correct status and gates
> > correctly. What is it that you're saying is actually not accurate?
>
> I don't think it needs to be turned off, but the issue does need to be
> addressed.  The first time I got a failure message, I had to go and
> investigate.  Took a minute to figure out what was going on. Now that I
> know that it is the issue, I am ignoring those messages.  I haven't seen
> a real failure yet on anything I submitted, but I would assume the
> message looks the same, and I likely won't notice until I go into bodhi
> to do something with the update.

For me, the problem is not a web interface. For me the problem is e-mail
notifications. Whenever I do a build in Rawhide, I get a message that an
update was submitted (I could live without this message, but still good)
and then 30 minutes later I get a message that the tests failed. This message
is very obtrusive:

I need go to the web interface and there I will find that the tests did not
fail. The tests have not yet finished. I do not recommend ignoring this
message because if the tests indeed fail, the update will never be pushed
into stable. It's not usually the case, but it has already happened to me
once. At the end, that's the purpose of gating. The problem is that this
message is _indistinguishable_ from a real failure.

Then after finishing the tests (a few minutes later), I get a third message
that the update was pushed to stable (because all tests passed).

-- Petr