Re: ELN SIG First Meeting

On Sat, 2021-03-13 at 17:09 -0800, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Sorry for coming late to the discussion.  I took a week off and all
> sorts of things happened while I was gone.
>
> I believe Kevin and Smooge, and possibly even you Davide got this
> backwards.  And I think if we do this right, this can be a thing.
>
> When we started ELN, one of the major promises was that it wouldn't
> interfere with regular Fedora work.  That your average Fedora
> packager
> that didn't care about ELN, could continue to not care about ELN and
> nothing would change.
> I believe we (ELN SIG) should extend the same courtesy to EPEL and
> the
> EPEL community and packagers.
>
> The email discussion went in the direction of all the work that EPEL
> would need to do to create an ELN EPEL.  But we (ELN SIG) shouldn't
> have expected that.  We should have expected to do all the work.
>
> So, if we flip this around, where everything is on ELN, how would
> that work.
>
> We create a new Fedora target and tag: eln-extra (so people do NOT
> confuse it with real EPEL)
> eln-extra-build inherits from itself and eln-build
> If a package is built against the eln-extra target, and it is
> successful, it gets tagged with the eln-extra tag.
> There is a daily (or some other time period) repo creation.  No
> images, just a repo, like epel.
> There is a list of packages, similar to the list of packages used to
> create the ELN list, on some github/gitlab/pagure repo.  If you put a
> package on that list, you associate your name with that package.
> Just like ELN, when a package on the eln-extra list gets built in
> rawhide, it get's built in eln-extra.  In fact, it would be best if
> we
> just altered the ELN trigger/periodic scripts to look at this list
> along with the regular ELN list.
>
> What are people's thoughts on this?
> No extra work on EPEL.
> If someone, or some company wants to test ELN and need packages not
> in
> ELN, they can add the packages to the list, with their name/company
> associated with that package.
> It would get built, put in the repo, and they can then run their ELN
> test with the package they need.
>
> Thoughts?

Thanks Troy for taking time to put this together. I like this plan: it
solves my usecase and it doesn't put undue burden onto EPEL or the
individual packagers, while also leaving open the possibility of
leveraging eln-extra to seed the next EPEL release if a packager so
desires.

How would be manage in practice the maintainership of packages in eln-
extra? Would it be recorded in dist-git (coupled with the relevant ACLs
to allow pushing fixes if needed), or somewhere else?

Cheers
Davide