Re: ELN SIG First Meeting

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 at 14:46, Davide Cavalca via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 09:26 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> I'd like to encourage anyone interested in this meeting to submit
> agenda topics by replying to this email. Currently the agenda

One thing I'd be interested in exploring is the feasibility of
extending ELN to cover EPEL as well. This would make it easier to keep
EPEL consistent between major releases (as packages would get branched
automatically). It would also make it possible to test the combined ELN
+ EPEL snapshot and find potential issues early on in the process.

That would require a lot of changes in both EPEL and in Fedora. In Fedora there is a general expectation that if a 'branch' is active then it is maintained by someone.. usually the primary maintainer.  Many Fedora maintainers are only interested in maintaining packages in the latest release. THis is why the ELN packages are being 'watched/maintained' by the ELN team and sig. Maintainership usually means dealing with bug reports, build failures, etc which can take up a good amount of time.

This is part of the reason why EPEL packages are not auto-forked for each EL release. Most maintainers are only interested in supporting maybe EL-6 or EL7 and we need to find someone new to do the EL-8 branch. We would need to have a dedicated team of people to do this with ELN related items. We would also need to have additional build and storage resources to deal with these artifacts, not alone the growth of 'just need this' packages. When I was trying to make EPEL-8 1:1 with EPEL-7 I found I was having to add more and more packages just to get the new build 'requires:' done. I stopped around a thousand 'new' packages to the tree when I was reminded that we don't do automatic branching for EPEL. I really don't know how many packages would be needed to make it work, but do know it is a full time job to get set up and keep going. While ELN is probably 4000 src.rpms we would be looking at needing to build/rebuild double that for EPEL.

Cheers
Davide

Stephen J Smoogen.