Re: ELN SIG First Meeting

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 07:45:09PM +0000, Davide Cavalca via devel wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 09:26 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > I'd like to encourage anyone interested in this meeting to submit
> > agenda topics by replying to this email. Currently the agenda
>
> One thing I'd be interested in exploring is the feasibility of
> extending ELN to cover EPEL as well. This would make it easier to keep
> EPEL consistent between major releases (as packages would get branched
> automatically). It would also make it possible to test the combined ELN
> + EPEL snapshot and find potential issues early on in the process.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here...

I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) you are wanting "all EPEL
packages" to also be built as part of ELN and shipped as some sort of
'EPEL-ELN' ?

The main problem with this is that "all EPEL packages" is not a defined
set like ELN is. EPEL is not a specific collection of packages. It's
packages which have maintainers that wish to maintain them. For this
(and other) reasons we have never mass branched epel, we have always let
maintainers branch when they wish to support that branch.

I'm not sure if there's a way around this... I suppose we could try and
collect a list of packages where maintainer(s) always want to branch
them, but that would need to be a living document/list and would
probibly be hard to keep up to date.

kevin