Re: Fedora 35 Change proposal: POWER 4k page size (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 1:53 PM Alex Perez <aperez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel Pocock wrote on 2/22/21 10:41 AM:
> > I feel that you underestimate the impact of the GPU driver issue
> >
> > If the GPU driver doesn't work, people can't even log in and get started
> >
> > If the GPU vendors don't test their code on ppc64le (and aarch64) then
> > those platforms will always lag behind x86.  Users will experience
> > issues that have been fixed in the development phase for x86.
> >
> > Personally, I'm not opposed to the 64k page size in principle: my
> > concerns are about the practical issues.
> >
> > If both 4k and 64k can be supported, if users can choose between
> > installers for either page size, then the severity of the issue is reduced
>
> How practical/impractical would it be to simply compile the ppc64le
> kernel for both page sizes, and then add a boot entry to GRUB for 4k
> page sizes, which is not the default.
>
> Another option could be an official ppc64le-4K Fedora Spin.

Not practical at all. This is not just a simple matter of building
another flavor of kernel, though even that is a lot to ask, and
honestly, we have turned off flavors that had more users than I expect
ppc64le workstation will have any time soon.  But you still have the
issue of writing special casing code for dnf at the very least.  To be
a full solution you would also need such code in anaconda and image
building tools.

Justin