Re: Reproducible builds

Le 2/5/21 à 3:30 PM, Matthew Miller a écrit :
On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 02:21:32PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
If you're trying to consume the buildinfo data though, it feels pretty
suboptimal to have to pull in the enourmous debuginfo RPM just to get
access to a tiny piece of build info data.

"Suboptimal" is a great word here. Because: is this a workflow hotspot for
the distribution in general? I don't think so. It's a valuable special case,
but one 99.999% of users won't use directly, and the few people who do won't
be doing it all the time. It's a perfectly good situation to _not_ optimize.

That was my original remark that pulling a "big" RPM for just one file is not optimal. But as you said,
it will probably concern very few amount of users. So inserting a buildinfo file into debuginfo RPM is
a good start. Also, nothing is written in the stone? If needed in a future, we could change that.

With all the current iteration, should I assume that a first approach has converged to use debuginfo RPM for
storing buildinfo file?

Thank you all for your time on this subject.

Best,
Frédéric