Re: Heads-up: dropping Berkeley DB rpmdb write-support in rawhide

On 2/3/21 2:27 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 7:26 AM Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2/3/21 2:06 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:39 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 03. 02. 21 10:13, Panu Matilainen wrote:
Hey all,

Just woke up to the fact that F34 is about to be branched, and that we
originally planned to phase out BDB rpmdb support to read-only in Fedora 34 [1].

That's too close to comfort for me, and might be considered too late for other
reasons too. So a slight change of plans, lets postpone this to F35, and handle
this right away after F34 has been branched. Rpm >= 4.17 which is to be expected
later in F35 will not *have* read-write BDB support at all, so disabling it
early gives folks a little of leeway where things can still be temporarily
reverted if something unexpected breaks.

Should we file a separate system-wide change for this, or can we proceed on the
basis that this was already accepted as a part of the sqlite change [1]?

I'd say this is already accepted as a part of the sqlite change, but please open
a placeholder issue at https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/release-notes to make sure
we document this in the release notes of Fedora 35.

I'm not entirely sure why you think we need to postpone this, since

1) branching is the *early* part of the cycle, not the late part and
2) Koji is already doing bootstrap builds now, explicitly because of
BDB being dropped in Fedora 34.

We accepted the Fedora 33 Change with the premise you were going to
drop in Fedora 34. Reverting to enabling the rw BDB backend is pretty
straightforward, so I still suggest that you actually *still* do it
now and file a release note issue about it being dropped in F34.

Well, if we people actually *want* us to go ahead and axe it right now,
I'm not going to push back :D

The idea of postponing was to be, as ever, playing with safe with rpm
changes which are best dealt with long before branching point. But of
course you're right in that this is an easy thing to revert back if
things do go wrong.

I'd rather you do it now, please. It's not like you're ripping out
code from RPM right now, you're just flipping a switch off. :)

Now is as good of a time as any to figure out what's left to fix, if anything.

As you wish:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rpm/c/1089af6b8a5cd5516e3243a5557551337b8c491d?branch=master
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=61207763

https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/release-notes/issue/653

Ladies and gents, when that build lands it'll be a rather historical moment. Suse seems to have beaten us to disabling BDB in rpm (congrats to them on that), but nevertheless it's very much an end of an era in this distro family.

	- Panu -

	- Panu -