Re: Proposal to deprecated `fedpkg local`

On Thursday, January 28, 2021 7:55:05 PM CET Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 28. 01. 21 v 19:36 Simo Sorce napsal(a):

> >> I have provided the numbers here:
> >>
> >> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.o
> >> rg/message/4RSZSVMHLIGEYIHLC6NOH3BEWWFQ7JQY/
> >>
> >> where I tried to point out that I don't perceive build of trivial
> >> package done in 7s to be slow. For nontrivial package the mock overhead
> >> is negligible. Nobody replied (in constructive way). On various places,
> >> I have suggested to use "--no-clean" option for repeated builds. But in
> >> the whole thread, there was no confirmation that anyone would use it.
> >>
> >> Yet I am repetitively told that mock is slow, you repeat it down bellow
> >> once again without any evidence. Your only argument to this discussion
> >> is that mock is slow, because you believe so and other people have said
> >> so. I would really appreciate if I was given some specific
> >> counterargument supported by numbers.
> >
> > That "mock is slow" is just one of the claims, and not the prevalent
> > one at that.
> > It is also inconvenient.
> > Takes disk space and bandwidth I do not care for.
> > It is complex to use when what you care is to fit the current running
> > systems.
> > And in general, for those that do not use it is yet another thing to
> > learn to use that I personally do not care for learning as I have no
> > need for it.
> >
> > You are claiming that "fedpkg local" is bad, we are responding it is
> > not, we use it and it works better for us.
> >
> > As for many other things there isn't just one true way, mock works best
> > for you, and local works best for others, why is that a problem ?
>
> I have started the thread reflecting on experience of fresh packager
> coming to Fedora. First issue was that `fedpkg local` pollutes the work
> directory. There is also second issue, that `fedpkg local` is polluting
> the whole system with build dependencies (and this is my concern). I
> don't think that anybody should have polluted work directory and their
> system by packagers work. If experienced packages are fine with that, so
> be it. But I am concerned, that these practices are possibly suggested
> to fresh coming people.
>
> I have already withdrew the original proposal, but that does not mean I
> am less concerned.
>

> Vít

I have never used `fedpkg local` myself.  However, what prevents me from doing
the following steps?

$ fedpkg srpm
$ sudo yum builddep ...
$ rpmbuild --rebuild ...
$ sudo yum install ...

The above is my usual workflow when I debug something.  Is it also going to be
prohibited in some way?

Kamil