Re: Proposal to deprecated `fedpkg local`

On 28/01/2021 10:39, Vít Ondruch wrote:

2) I would really love you to stop using VMs for your build/testing. With exception of Kernel and Kernel related issues, the argument of "mock being slow" can't stand. Every VM will be more resources hungry then mock, slowing every your task.

I'd love to. But then we need to ensure that it is possible to mock build future Fedora 45+ packages from a RHEL-8 installation without issues; due to yum/dnf/rpm being too old, not able to parse the .rpm or .spec files due to new features in use, etc, etc.

And add some simple approaches so you can easily access the source code failing to build, so you can add some tweaks and test out manually before diffing and patching up the .spec file for another run.

With "simple approaches", I mean to not needing to add additional arguments to mock build so the buildroot doesn't get wiped on errors and that you don't have to dig deep into the /var/lib/mock directories to find the source location

For me, this is where fedpkg local excels over mock build

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth