Re: Proposal to deprecated `fedpkg local`

On 27/01/2021 21:47, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

+1 to everything that Gwyn said.

'fedpkg local' is just so immensely useful for initial package developement.

I also use it a lot for systemd & friends: I *want* to build packages
against the local environment and install them locally without pulling
in any other package updates, and I want to be able to debug build or
test failures in the host environment.

(I also use mock in various configurations, and copr, and scratch
builds, etc. I find mock immensely useful too, but in a later phase of
package development. Different tools have different tradeoffs.)

All of this +1. I don't do this for systemd, but for OpenVPN related packaging.

Also, mock against newer Fedora distros gets more and more complicated as time flies, as I usually do all of this on RHEL [*]. I've recently upgraded to RHEL-8 (from RHEL-7), so I'm not sure how that changes in this aspect, but looking forward to test it out properly.

But doing OpenVPN related packaging for quite some years has taught me to not fully trust mock to be capable to builds on more recent Fedora releases (from a RHEL host). The rescue has always been to use fedpkg local (on RHEL) to iron out the build issues before spinning of a VM and run a fedpkg mockbuild in the VM (with a recent Fedora), and then koji build in the end for the broader platform builds.

[*] I always try to do main development on an older distribution, as
    forward porting fixes for issues are always more convenient than
    backwards porting them.  Especially when writing new code and
    features for a project.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth