Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable spec file preprocessing (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 2:51 PM Dan Čermák
<dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 23:29, Dan Čermák wrote:
> >> clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Imho the "right way" would be to integrate this into rpmbuild itself
> >> instead of adding another layer on top of it.
> >
> > +1. Maybe it's time to introduce RPM spec file format versioning
> > and say .spec files with e.g.:
> >
> > SPEC-Version: 2
> >
> > should be pre-processed by rpmbuild first.
>
> When we go down that route, we might even think about throwing out m4
> altogether and using a different templating language. But that a very OT
> discussion and would rather belong to the rpm development mailinglist.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Dan

The yak says "b-a-a-a-a-a-a-h-h-h-hack-pthui".

For those of us familiar with the concept, "yak shaving" is when you
pursue every exciting feature possible to avoid doing the actual work.
It's a temptation when dealing with old, stable, familiar software.