Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable spec file preprocessing (System-Wide Change proposal)

clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 22:04, James Szinger <jszinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 14:05:40 -0500
>> Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> 1. How does this affect users who download, maybe modify, and rebuild
>> the SRPM?  Can they continue to use rpmbuid and mock as they have
>> been?  Does the SRPM contain the pre-processed or post-processed spec
>> file?
>
> They can use mock if the preprocessing will be enabled for the
> respective chroots where it is enabled in Koji/Fedora.
> They can't directly use rpmbuild for those packages that contain the
> macros. But they can use rpkg/fedpkg to do the work.
> Or preprocess spec first and then use rpmbuild. I am aware this is a
> negative point of this change.

This is a pretty big downside imho, as that means that building Fedora
packages that use these new kinds of macros in other build systems will
become impossible or at the very least, very, very difficult. There is
quite some development going on in OBS (afaik e.g. Igor exported all
Fedora Rust rpms to OBS for automated rebuilds) and enabling this
preprocessing will make these packages FTBFS in OBS.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to this proposal per-se. But as far
as I recall, many people were pretty upset about modular packages being
effectively only buildable in Fedora's infra and nowhere else. And I'd
very much like not to repeat this.

> While having an option to use rpmbuild directly to build srpm/rpm from
> a dist-git repo is nice, I would say that fedpkg or mock are the main
> interfaces to do this.
> I know this answer won't satisfy everyone.

Indeed. I think there *should* be at least a way how to produce a srpm
that can be rebuild *without* having access to Koji, mock and fedpkg
(ideally by our own infrastructure).

Cheers,

Dan