Re: Fedora 34 Change: Golang 1.16 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 4:27 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that the 81 python3-rpm are backports from upstream. The 129
> patches for gcl seems to be upstream prerelase patches. When upstream makes the
> next release, no "rebase" is needed — those patches will be just dropped.

The gcl situation is interesting.  Upstream essentially uses Debian as
its development platform.  Patches are added to the Debian package
without spinning a new tarball.  Even though many of the patches have
names of the form Version_2_6_13preXX, upstream treats the Debian
packages as continuations of the 2.6.12 series.  I periodically sync
up with the Debian package state and build a new Fedora package.
(Thanks for the prod; I've now added 2 more upstream patches to gcl!)

There are currently 118 upstream patches, and 13 downstream patches in
the gcl package.  The 13 downstream patches have nearly all been
applied to upstream's 2.7.x branch.  If 2.7 is ever actually released
(I have some doubts about that), we can throw away almost every
patches.  I think upstream will get around to releasing 2.6.13 some
day, and then we can drop the 118 upstream patches.  Upstream doesn't
release very often, in the sense of making a new versioned tarball.
Upstream releases fairly often in the sense of building a new Debian
package; I track that.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/