Re: Fedora 34 Change: Golang 1.16 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 06:07:40AM -0500, Elliott Sales de Andrade wrote:
> As a first order estimate, it's rather straightforward to grab the
> spec tarball and count the number of Patch lines in each one (which
> ignores any fanciness with Lua or conditionals, and doesn't really say
> if they are downstream-only, exactly).
>
> The top ten count percentages are:
> 0      71.5054
> 1      14.7853
> 2      5.6351
> 3      2.7172
> 4      1.4361
> 5      0.9893
> 6      0.6611
> 7      0.4468
> 8      0.3419
> 9      0.2234
> 10     0.1824
> >10     1.0760
>
> So at minimum 71.5% have no downstream-only patches. I _think_
> packages with fewer patches are ones that will likely go upstream

Many thanks for calculating those statistics!

Even looking at the list below, not "go upstream", but "come from upstream".
That is one of the changes from what was happening 10 years ago and now
that I was trying to highlight. We pull patches from upstream repos, and
more rarely then before generate them downstream. And even if we generate
them downstream, we're more likely to immediately submit them as pull requests
or such. (In particular, when trying to fix some build or failing test,
I find it less work to clone the upstream repo and work there and immediately
submit a pull request and use Patch0: https://github.com/.../something.patch
in the spec file, so that I can do 'spectool -g *spec', instead of generating
the patch file myself.)

I'm pretty sure that the 81 python3-rpm are backports from upstream. The 129
patches for gcl seems to be upstream prerelase patches. When upstream makes the
next release, no "rebase" is needed — those patches will be just dropped.

Zbyszek