Re: Fedora GNOME Shell rendering problem

Hi

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:54 AM Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:15:32 +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Can you check and look for GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY messages in the journalctl logs
> for gnome-shell? (Xwayland being spawned by gnome-shell, the messages from
> Xwayland will be marked as gnome-shell in the logs)
>
> Xwayland uses glamor by default, and I can think of are a number of known
> nouveau issues which can eventually lead to GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY errors in
> glamor, with various effects, so it could possibly be the root cause of the
> issue.

Regardless of VRAM size? It happens also with 6GB VRAM, so an OOM condition
(even if it were by mistake) straight after booting into GNOME Shell would
be a very, very bad scenario.

The GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY errors I had in mind were resulting from fragmentation more than actual lack of memory, IIRC.

But I agree that shouldn't occur as soon as the system is started, so if you do not see any such error in your journalctl logs, let's forget about that.

I don't know a reproducer yet. When it occurs, it doesn't make the system
unstable or slow, it doesn't cause any other harm. It's just odd to
observe a single damaged character. Such symptoms typically imply some
sort of data/memory corruption in some place.

The last time I had asked about Nvidia+Fedora was in 2018 when booting
an installation would end up with a terribly slow GNOME Shell:
  https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/EC7T7MN3DXN6XU5QHNG2DE3VHMTXOIDV/

I'm not sure a problem with Fedora 28 and a thread more than two years old is actually relevant to the issue at stake here though.

That isn't reproducible anymore, but other issues (might) remain.
Some can be worked around by switching to Xorg.

Cheers,
Olivier