Re: Fedora GNOME Shell rendering problem

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 4:31 PM Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 5:31 AM Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 08:09:50 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > Most likely the GPU driver. This is a symptom of a corrupted Xft glyph
> > cache inside the Xwayland X server.
> >
> > (It's not impossible that the glyph was corrupted before upload by
> > some other component, but that's much less likely - especially if it
> > seems to be hardware dependent.)
>
> It's been observed on Nouveau driver based installations / with no Nvidia
> related packages from RPM Fusion as to test whether default installations
> of Fedora Workstation would work acceptably out of the box.

I'd suggest filing an issue against:

 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver

Even though the fix is more likely to be in Mesa - because it's not
going to be possible to investigate this just in Mesa alone - the
first step would be for a developer to figure out a working reproducer
with the X server. Make sure, however, that your bug report includes
the specific kernel and mesa versions, and the details of the video
hardware (lspci -v)

Can you check and look for GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY messages in the journalctl logs for gnome-shell? (Xwayland being spawned by gnome-shell, the messages from Xwayland will be marked as gnome-shell in the logs)

Xwayland uses glamor by default, and I can think of are a number of known nouveau issues which can eventually lead to GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY errors in glamor, with various effects, so it could possibly be the root cause of the issue.

The same occurs with the modesettings driver on the same hardware, so trying to reproduce with Xorg + modesetting + glamor could be a test as well.

You could also try disabling glamor support in Xwayland (by setting the environment variable XWAYLAND_NO_GLAMOR=1 typically in a script in /etc/profile.d/) for testing purposes, and see if that helps (rendering of all X11 applications will be slower, of course).

HTH,
Cheers
Olivier