Re: full file paths in the dependency metadata [was Re: Fedora 34 Change: DNF/RPM Copy on Write enablement for all variants (System-Wide Change)]

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 2:14 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 01:47:19PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > As someone who has to package for multiple distributions, I would
> > oppose any attempt to cripple DNF to stop supporting file dependencies
> > properly. I *aggressively* use file dependencies to avoid having to
> > litter my spec files with package name dependencies across RH/Fedora,
> > SUSE, Mandriva/Mageia, and others.
>
> Do you have examples outside of /etc, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin?

Mostly stuff in /usr/libexec and /usr/lib(64).

> Also, if you _are_ using arbitrary file dependencies, that renders the other
> part about opportunistic download of these deps kind of moot, since they'll
> have to be frequently, right?

For packages I maintain in Fedora *itself*, I don't need to do this,
but for packages I maintain *outside* of Fedora, I *must*.

> Again, I'm not kidding about 95% of the dep points being filenames. It's
> huge! I don't think that's a good price at all to make everyone pay
> constantly for packaging convenience. Better to convince packagers to put in
> cross-distro "Provides" or something.

Yes, I know. I've looked at the metadata myself before...

The fact that I can't get openSUSE to properly fully enable the Python
module dependency generator (that I maintain upstream in rpm!) after
almost two years of trying should be indication enough of how
difficult what you're asking really is.