Re: koji buildsystem changes

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:17:45AM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 8:25:50 PM CET Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 10:54:07AM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> > >   https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/wiki/Feature-container-for-bootstrap
> > > which is still fresh feature - just one year old :) And so far not enabled in Koji.
> > >
> > > When *this* will be enabled in Koji, we can finally boost the RPM
> > > development to levels previously unimaginable. :)
> >
> > Yeah, we should discuss how to manage and land this. Ideally there would
> > be a lot of CI/QA/Gating on the image, and we would have easy ways to
> > roll back to a known good one in case.
>
> Sounds good!  Likely we'd need an image for each chroot and arch.  Where
> can we start? :)

Still a lot of things to ponder here...

I think it would be important to maintain the ability for users to build
things locally with mock and have them 'close' to what it is in koji.
That would I guess involve publishing all the bootstrap images and
getting mock to be able to download the right ones for the branch/arch.

CI/Gating/testing on the container(s).

Way for releng to go back to older container(s).

Way for releng to go to newer/force regeneration of container(s).

koji adjustments: way to record whats in the container/what container it
was. What does it mean for koji's srpm groups?

What does this mean for reproducability? Do we keep all containers ever
used for bootstrap so we can duplucate builds? Do we just keep a way to
recreate them?

Could we just re-use the fedora minimal container? I guess not, but it
would be nice if we could.

Also, I am guessing this all works with nspawn, we are (still) using old
chroot, we would have to move to nspawn first right? (which we need to
do anyhow).

I'm sure I'll think of more. :)

kevin