Re: koji buildsystem changes

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 8:25:50 PM CET Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 10:54:07AM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> >   https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/wiki/Feature-container-for-bootstrap
> > which is still fresh feature - just one year old :) And so far not enabled in Koji.
> >
> > When *this* will be enabled in Koji, we can finally boost the RPM
> > development to levels previously unimaginable. :)
>
> Yeah, we should discuss how to manage and land this. Ideally there would
> be a lot of CI/QA/Gating on the image, and we would have easy ways to
> roll back to a known good one in case.

Sounds good!  Likely we'd need an image for each chroot and arch.  Where
can we start? :)

Anyone can be experiment with this in Copr now (see the
chroot/project/build "bootstrap" configuration options).  Any publicly
available podman image can be used to initialize the bootstrap.

> I wonder how much slower it is?

With --use-bootstrap-image, the host's package manager isn't involved in
preparing the bootstrap at all.  E.g. for the fedora-33-x86_64 chroot

    1. 'fedora:33' container image is downloaded (this can be cached on builder)
    2. container is executed from the image to install 'dnf-plugins-core'
       (needed by mock, we could skip this step if we had a complete image).
    3. the container content is exported to /var/lib/mock/<chroot>-bootstrap/root
       and from now on it is normal "bootstrap" (pkg management tools from there
       are used to install normal chroot).

So we could make the bootstrap image feature overhead almost instant (equivalent
to extraction of several-tens-of-MB image/tarball extraction), if we maintained
the special image you talked about.

IOW, bootstrap image is even now slightly faster than normal bootstrap, but we
could make it almost as fast as mock without bootstrap.

Pavel