Re: What to do about ELN-related "spam"?

Hi, Fabio,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 1:22 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:37 PM Petr Šabata <contyk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:27 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I'm unsure how to deal with this, so I'm asking here if anybody has ideas.
> > >
> > > - I'm getting serious spam from fedora-notif on IRC about successful -
> > > and a lot more failed - ELN builds for my packages (triggered either
> > > by ELN developers or automatically by their CI)
> >
> > I hope successful builds aren't too much of a pain; failed builds
> > should preferably be addressed, ideally by you. Unless it's clearly
> > not a problem in your package.
> >
> > > - bodhi is spamming bugzilla by changing the "Fixed in Version" field
> > > every time a new ELN build succeds with a new %dist value (one
> > > bugzilla email each for eln106, eln107, eln108, etc.)
> >
> > This sounds wrong to me but maybe it's relevant for potential ELN
> > consumers to know if a bug was also addressed in ELN. Is that an
> > issue?
> >
> > > At this point, almost half of the bugzilla mail I get and a majority
> > > of the IRC notifications are "ELN spam" that I do not know how to deal
> > > with / is not actionable for me. It's now so bad that I'd like to get
> > > the packages that are failing to build (multiple times a day) in ELN
> > > fixed just so I don't get spammed with "failed to build" notifications
> > > anymore ...
> >
> > I wonder why you're getting so many build notifications. These should
> > only be triggered when you update your package in Rawhide. But again,
> > fixing build failures would generally be a good thing.
>
> I maintain 400 (co-maintain 1600) packages and have submitted almost
> 300 package updates in the past month alone. That's probably the
> reason for the amount.
>
> The build failures are certainly not my problem, because the packages
> built (and still build) fine in rawhide.
>
> I assume they fail because they're getting built in the wrong order in
> ELN (I use side tags for order-sensitive builds), or they're missing
> new dependencies that are not in ELN yet.
> I can do nothing about either of those things, only wait until the CI
> submits the failed builds often enough until they land in the correct
> order, which takes n! tries in the "random" order the CI submits the
> builds, resulting in a large number of failed koji builds.

Unfortunately there is no way to manage these notifications from the
ELN SIG side. The ELN automation doesn't send any messages on its own.
(We do file BZ's for ELN FTBFS issues for RHEL developers under RHEL
Product umbrella in bugzilla, but this is done on agreement with RHEL
Engineering)

The notifications you get are sent by Koji and Bodhi.

The issue was reported for Bodhi some time ago[1]

The IRC notifications can be controlled via Notifications App.
Afaik, by default they are configured so that you get notified about
all builds for packages you maintain, no matter the target or owner of
the build. But it can be changed in the app interface.

We welcome contributors to the ELN SIG, but we have no intent to push
any responsibility regarding ELN builds on people who have no interest
in them. It is only the limitation of the current messaging
infrastructure, which creates the inconvenience.

[1] https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/issues/4094
[2] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications

> Fabio

Aleksandra Fedorova