Re: What to do about ELN-related "spam"?

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:37 PM Petr Šabata <contyk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:27 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'm unsure how to deal with this, so I'm asking here if anybody has ideas.
> >
> > - I'm getting serious spam from fedora-notif on IRC about successful -
> > and a lot more failed - ELN builds for my packages (triggered either
> > by ELN developers or automatically by their CI)
>
> I hope successful builds aren't too much of a pain; failed builds
> should preferably be addressed, ideally by you. Unless it's clearly
> not a problem in your package.
>
> > - bodhi is spamming bugzilla by changing the "Fixed in Version" field
> > every time a new ELN build succeds with a new %dist value (one
> > bugzilla email each for eln106, eln107, eln108, etc.)
>
> This sounds wrong to me but maybe it's relevant for potential ELN
> consumers to know if a bug was also addressed in ELN. Is that an
> issue?
>
> > At this point, almost half of the bugzilla mail I get and a majority
> > of the IRC notifications are "ELN spam" that I do not know how to deal
> > with / is not actionable for me. It's now so bad that I'd like to get
> > the packages that are failing to build (multiple times a day) in ELN
> > fixed just so I don't get spammed with "failed to build" notifications
> > anymore ...
>
> I wonder why you're getting so many build notifications. These should
> only be triggered when you update your package in Rawhide. But again,
> fixing build failures would generally be a good thing.

I maintain 400 (co-maintain 1600) packages and have submitted almost
300 package updates in the past month alone. That's probably the
reason for the amount.

The build failures are certainly not my problem, because the packages
built (and still build) fine in rawhide.

I assume they fail because they're getting built in the wrong order in
ELN (I use side tags for order-sensitive builds), or they're missing
new dependencies that are not in ELN yet.
I can do nothing about either of those things, only wait until the CI
submits the failed builds often enough until they land in the correct
order, which takes n! tries in the "random" order the CI submits the
builds, resulting in a large number of failed koji builds.

Fabio