Re: CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream Re: End of CentOS Linux: What about Fedora?

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 2:30 PM Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-12-12 at 15:04 -0300, Eduard Lucena wrote:
>
> Quite literally here:
>
> "CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021"
>

> and CentOS Stream continues after that date , is also wrote.
>
> For example, samba package [1] we have c8 and c8s (CentOS Stream) branches,  and the focus will be c8s, i.e. we should enable Centos 8 stream repo as well. I think that is the message .

Good luck with that one. The dependency chain for the current Samba
4.13.2 has problems with missing libraries such as libtommath in RHEL
8 and CentOS 8. and the Heimdal Kerberos compatibility built into
Samba versus the MIT Kerberos used for RHEL and CentOS is a problem. I
publish CentOS compatible RPM building tools for samba-4.13.2..over at
https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo  If the current maintainers of
Samba for RHEL and/or CentOS plan to continue to deliberately disable
the domain controller features at the time of compilation, well,
there's little point to upgrading. The related libraries are woven
into a lot of security tools, such as sssd.

CentOS 8 stream, as described, will not be reliable or stable enough
for building RPM's unless people build their own locked down local
mirrors and use that for building with "mock" or designated build
machines. Been there, done that for locked down business deployments.
I'm concerned that upgrades in CentOS Stream may break what need to be
stable business environments, awaiting the next point release for
upgrade.
doraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx