Re: Fedora 34 Change: Stop Shipping Individual Nodejs Library Packages (Self-Contained)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 2:07 AM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday, 10 December 2020 at 00:49, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > On 12/9/20 7:44 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NodejsLibrariesBundleByDefault

> > > * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> >
> > Should there be an update of:
> >
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/JavaScript/
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Node.js/
> >
> > ?
>
> Same question. I wanted to try packaging web-ext and even started a list
> of required dependencies[1]. What do I do now if NodeJS ecosystem is
> going away? This feels like a total failure of distro packaging
> principles.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Web-ext
>
> Regards,
> Dominik

You do just what we say, you bundle those nodejs libraries, instead of
using nodejs-<library> packages.

For you, that saves you having to make at least 45 new nodejs library
packages.  But, the reality is closer to 500 packages once you add in
all the runtime and build-time dependencies.

If you don't already have one, we have a script that makes the bundling easier.
I've been using this one.
https://github.com/tdawson/tdawson-misc-scripts/tree/master/npm-bundler
It still needs a few tweeks, but it does the bundling part just fine.

I ran that script for web-ext and it took about 10 minutes.
Think of how much time you've already spent looking up what packages
are in Fedora, and how many months it would take to get all the nodejs
library packages made, and reviewed.
It once took me over a year to get a nodejs based package in.

Troy