Re: local mock builds using "local" repo really slow

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 02:09:52PM +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is it just me or have downloads for the "local" repo (using mock with
> "--enablerepo local") been really slow for everybody lately? I'm only
> getting 50-100 kB/s download speeds for the repo metadata ... don't
> worry, I'm only using this repo when I need to test builds against the
> latest non-composed packages ....
>
> Download speeds like these make mock builds unbearably slow :(
> Typically this adds 10-15 minutes to the dnf step in mock (since it
> wants to refresh those caches every time newRepo/f34-build is run in
> koji), and since there are two (or three, when using GenBR) of those
> steps, builds take an additional 30 minutes or so to complete (on top
> of a few minutes of build time, this is really slowing down my
> process)
>
> I really don't want to resort to using scratch builds for testing
> purposes, as this would only put even more strain on koji, and scratch
> builds cannot depend on each other, so they don't work for testing
> multi-build updates at all.
>
> Any ideas how I could work around those slow download speeds for the
> "local" repo? Or can they be improved again? They've only been this
> slow for a few days and it hasn't been a problem earlier.

So, it's hard for me to say, but this is quite possibly one of our
upstream links getting saturated again. For some reason the routing
setup sometimes prefers it, and we get a ton of traffic over one link
and not much over the other. :(

We have a request in to increase BW on both links, I'll check on the
status of that. Hopefully that will fix this issue.

kevin