Re: Fedora 34 Change: Stop Shipping Individual Nodejs Library Packages (Self-Contained)

On Thursday, 10 December 2020 at 17:55, Troy Dawson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 2:07 AM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> <dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Should there be an update of:
> > >
> > > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/JavaScript/
> > > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Node.js/
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > Same question. I wanted to try packaging web-ext and even started
> > a list of required dependencies[1]. What do I do now if NodeJS
> > ecosystem is going away? This feels like a total failure of distro
> > packaging principles.
> >
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Web-ext
>
> You do just what we say, you bundle those nodejs libraries, instead of
> using nodejs-<library> packages.
>
> For you, that saves you having to make at least 45 new nodejs library
> packages. But, the reality is closer to 500 packages once you add in
> all the runtime and build-time dependencies.

That may be so, but it's the right way to go about it.

> If you don't already have one, we have a script that makes the
> bundling easier.  I've been using this one.
> https://github.com/tdawson/tdawson-misc-scripts/tree/master/npm-bundler
> It still needs a few tweeks, but it does the bundling part just fine.
>
> I ran that script for web-ext and it took about 10 minutes. Think of
> how much time you've already spent looking up what packages are in
> Fedora, and how many months it would take to get all the nodejs
> library packages made, and reviewed.
> It once took me over a year to get a nodejs based package in.

Yes, doing things right is sometimes hard and slow. I think it's
acceptable to revert to bundling temporarily, but while that's done,
the NodeJS SIG should go out looking for more members and more
automation to make NodeJS packaging as quick and easy as possible.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPM Fusion  http://rpmfusion.org