Re: Fedora 34 Change: Make Fedora CoreOS a Fedora Edition (System-Wide Change)

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 3:27 AM Dusty Mabe <dusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There are three update streams for Fedora CoreOS. The "stable" stream is still
on Fedora 32 but has been receiving bi-weekly updates and should be switched over
to Fedora 33 soon (probably this week). The `next` and `testing` streams have been
updated to Fedora 33 and the `next` stream has been on F33 since early october. My
point here is that if you want Fedora 33 and you are a Fedora CoreOS user you can
easily adopt a stream that has it.

Since FCOS has automatic updates, perhaps the messaging could be something along the lines "Selected users will begin their automatic upgrade process to F34 in the next few days, and the full rollout to all users is expected to be finished in a couple of weeks. If you want to upgrade early, you can manually switch to the 'testing' branch immediately.". I think it's pretty much expected these days that major large-scale upgrades first hit 1% of the user base, then 10%, then 100% (or similar). Think Android/iOS upgrades, etc. So if the same approach is taken with FCOS, shortly after F34 is GA, I believe this process can be pretty clear to the users, if explained well. And integrate well with their and our expectations at the same time.