Re: Fedora 34 Change: Make Fedora CoreOS a Fedora Edition (System-Wide Change)

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 09:56 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:

> Meh, sure I guess? This is a paperwork change. It's been considered an
> Edition in practice since it replaced Fedora Atomic, which *was* a
> full Edition in its own right.

I would dispute that. To me the most obvious factor here is: what do
you see when you go to download Fedora? What you see is this:

https://getfedora.org/

which is very clear that the Editions - the primary Fedora Things - are
Workstation, Server and IoT. CoreOS and Silverblue are clearly labeled
"Emerging Fedora Editions", which clearly communicates to people "these
are things we consider important but aren't ready to make the Main
Things" yet - they are, as the subhead says, "the future of Fedora".
This is admirably clear messaging, I think, and it means that people
will give us a pass on all the sorts of awkward questions I asked in my
other mail.

If CoreOS moves up a few hundred pixels, we will *not* get a pass on
those questions. If we release a bad CoreOS, it will reflect badly on
Fedora. If we do a "Fedora release" and just basically forget to
include CoreOS in the messaging for that release at all, that will look
bad.

Note that if you go to getfedora.org and click on CoreOS *right now*,
it offers you a Fedora 32-based CoreOS. This is the kind of thing that
is kinda fine so long as it's an Emerging Edition. It would *not*,
IMHO, be fine for an Edition. If we accept CoreOS as an edition and two
months after Fedora 34 is "released", our "stable" CoreOS is still
Fedora 33-based, that seems like the sort of thing that would look bad.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA