Re: Fedora 34 Change: Make Fedora CoreOS a Fedora Edition (System-Wide Change)

On 12/2/20 12:33 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

<snip>

> Note that if you go to getfedora.org and click on CoreOS *right now*,
> it offers you a Fedora 32-based CoreOS. This is the kind of thing that
> is kinda fine so long as it's an Emerging Edition. It would *not*,
> IMHO, be fine for an Edition. If we accept CoreOS as an edition and two
> months after Fedora 34 is "released", our "stable" CoreOS is still
> Fedora 33-based, that seems like the sort of thing that would look bad.

There are three update streams for Fedora CoreOS. The "stable" stream is still
on Fedora 32 but has been receiving bi-weekly updates and should be switched over
to Fedora 33 soon (probably this week). The `next` and `testing` streams have been
updated to Fedora 33 and the `next` stream has been on F33 since early october. My
point here is that if you want Fedora 33 and you are a Fedora CoreOS user you can
easily adopt a stream that has it.

Why is our FCOS stable stream still on Fedora 32? Our FCOS instances have automatic
updates on by default and we're trying very hard to not break systems on upgrade and
require human intervention. There are several changes in Fedora 33, including migrating
to systemd-resolved and also systemd changing the default fallback hostname from `localhost`
to `fedora` that are causing issues for people and we're trying to consider these things first.

Ideally we update our stable stream closer to Fedora's actual release date but I think it's
important to maybe release Fedora CoreOS from the notion that it's tightly coupled with the
Fedora major release date for a few reasons:

- we have people follow update streams and systems update automatically
- it's more of a "rolling" release, with incremental feature improvements and major rebases periodically
    - this is a departure from Atomic Host where you had to manually decide when to do a major rebase
    - new features get added all the time, mid stream, so it's more of a continuous development model

Ultimately it's just a slightly different release/development model (adopted from CoreOS Container
Linux) than what Fedora has traditionally used, but I don't think that's any reason to treat it like
it's not Fedora. We should embrace it and see the positives along with the negatives of the model.

Dusty

P.S. For more info on our various update streams see: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-coreos/update-streams/