Re: Mass spec file change: Adding BuildRequires: make

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 7:38 PM Tom Stellard <tstellar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/1/20 8:33 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> >> Please don't rely on gcc requiring make. This is an internal
> >> implementation detail of the gcc package, and hopefully one day
> >> we'll be able to drop this dependency.
> >> If a package uses make directly, it should BR:make itself.
> >

> > I think this was never clear cut if such dependency should be specified
> > or not. The dependencies, which are at some point added for whatever
> > good reason might be left behind while they are not useful anymore. This
> > problem on itself is much harder to solve then adding the missing
> > dependencies should they be needed one day.
> >
> > So while I don't disagree with your point, I think the the `BR: make`
> > should be automatically added only where needed right now to prevent
> > FTBFS after make removal.
> >

> Now that gcc requires make, if we took this approach there would be very
> few packages that need to be updated for this change request.  If gcc
> did decide to drop the make dependency or make it weak, who would take
> on the work of updating the thousands of packages that use make?  Right
> now, we have someone (me) who is willing an able to do the updates, and
> I think we should this is a good reason to update all the packages now.

Please, update all of them.

Assuming that something is present because default buildroot / my
dependencies have always pulled it in for me / magic just leads to
unexpected future breakage. If the packages call make, they need to BR
make. And the same for everything else.

Yes, packages might accumulate dependencies that are no longer
required but it's the packager's responsibility to ensure everything
is up-to-date. Rebasing isn't just about uploading a new tarball and
checking if it builds.