Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 2:42 PM Tom Seewald <tseewald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I am working with Wim (the change proposer), the Workstation WG, and
> > the KDE SIG to make the necessary adjustments in Rawhide to support
> > swapping between PulseAudio and PipeWire. So far, Wim has not been
> > interested in backporting the fixes I've made to Fedora 33, so the
> > plan would be to start producing media with PipeWire on it for Rawhide
> > and set up multiple events over the next few months to get things
> > tested.
>
> I really don't think a few test days are at all sufficient for such a sweeping change. The fact users cannot easily test this on F33 makes it even worse. I understand the desire for moving forward, but this change proposal comes off as premature.

"Premature" is a weird term to use here, considering the whole point
of these things is to be able to do integration work in the first
place. And it's not like we can't revert the change before release if
it turns out to be problematic.

But that said, I would like to backport all the packaging changes to
Fedora 33 too. It's not actually *hard* to do, it's just a matter of
getting everyone to agree to get it to happen.