Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 15:56:23 -0500
Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 3:53 PM James Szinger <jszinger@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > According to the FAQ
> > `https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/FAQ`
> >
> >     Is PipeWire ready yet?
> >
> >     It is getting ready for broader testing.
> >
> > There’s also
> > `https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Limitations-in-0.3`
> >
> > Upstream says it is not ready!
>
> The upstream developer of PipeWire is the one who submitted this
> Change proposal. Before this proposal was submitted, he talked to us
> in the Workstation WG about it and stated that he's confident that
> PipeWire is in good shape for Fedora 34 and provides a straightforward
> way to fall back to legacy PulseAudio as needed.

Even the change proposal says it is not ready.

    We would make a pipewire-pulse package that provides the same
    features as the pulseaudio (daemon) package.

    As of this writing, these things are missing from the JACK
    implementation, we hope to implement them before fedora 34:

There is software to be written between now and beta freeze.  When is
supposed to be tested?

It’s also not feature complete:

   pipewire-pulse does not yet implement all the features of
   pulseaudio but it is expected that comparable functionality will be
   implemented later. Most notable features that are likely not going
   to be available for fedora 34 …

I also found a couple more problems:

1. No end-user documentation on pipewire.org.  There are a few man
pages, but nothing that answers “How do I do this?”  Compare to
`https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/`
and the massive number of Google hits.

2. No native management tools.  The change proposal says to test the
usual pulseaudio and JACK tools (patcl, pavucontrol, catia, carla,
qjackctl), but does not mention any native tools.  This is a problem
because the PA and JACK tools will manage different subsets of
pipewire, potentially causing much confusion and wailing.

Jim