Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 3:53 PM James Szinger <jszinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 19:47:30 -0000
> "Tom Seewald" <tseewald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Things like bluetooth support, audio for flatpak applications, and
> > the new pulse server were just added in the last month or so and
> > there are issues with stability and audio playback (look at the issue
> > tracker [1]), for example HSP is still marked as WIP [2]. It seems
> > premature to commit to this change before the core features have been
> > stabilized and more testing has been done. Audio is an area where
> > users really have no tolerance for it misbehaving. Pushing a change
> > like this too early can create a negative perception of the project
> > which is something we should try to avoid (within reason).
>
> According to the FAQ
> `https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/FAQ`
>
>     Is PipeWire ready yet?
>
>     It is getting ready for broader testing.
>
> There’s also
> `https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Limitations-in-0.3`
>
> Upstream says it is not ready!
>
> Linux has had a large number of audio systems (OSS, ALSA, ESD,
> pulseaudio, and probably some I’ve forgotten), and almost as many
> painful transitions from one to the next.  Since then audio has become
> a vital part of the computer desktop experience.  Please make this
> less painful and don’t make this the default until it is ready and
> tested.

The upstream developer of PipeWire is the one who submitted this
Change proposal. Before this proposal was submitted, he talked to us
in the Workstation WG about it and stated that he's confident that
PipeWire is in good shape for Fedora 34 and provides a straightforward
way to fall back to legacy PulseAudio as needed.