Re: video meeting to discuss Matrix/Element and IRC

Elliott Sales de Andrade <quantum.analyst@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > I honestly can see exactly zero downsides to using a Matrix setup as
>> > compared to using IRC, and a giant pile of upsides, starting with "I no
>> > longer need to dedicate a small portion of my brain to remembering how
>> > my IRC bouncer setup works and maintaining it".
>>
>> Well my experience when I looked at matrix desktop clients
>> before was that they needed more screen real estate to be
>> usable than IRC clients, which is certainly one downside and
>> probably a direct consequence of rich media support.
>>
>> There's also the fact that unless I can get it to talk to all
>> the same chat systems I have pidgin talking to I would need to
>> be running two clients instead of one.
>>

> I don't know if it's packaged and can't speak to its quality, but
> there exists a protocol plugin to use Matrix in Pidgin:
> https://github.com/matrix-org/purple-matrix/#readme

I have used purple-matrix and purple-discord from the repos for a while
and they work pretty well. But I eventually stopped using them, as all
pidgin plugins suffer from the same issue: they have to stuff a pretty
rich chat experience into a client that was designed for
IRC. I.e. threading, replies, reactions, edits, history have to get
emulated in (imho) suboptimal ways. Both plugins were very good given
these constraints, but running Element.io & Discord in a browser tab or
in Ferdi eventually turned out to work better for me. But YMMW.

Cheers,

Dan