Re: video meeting to discuss Matrix/Element and IRC

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 13:29, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 13:23 -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:57, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > No, please. IRC bridges need to be closed to force users to switch
> > > to Matrix.
> >
> > "force"?  You may have said the quiet bit aloud ...
> >

> Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and honestly I am ok if this is the
> way Fedora goes. I have no interest in opening any more social network
> accounts, but I am not going to stop people from moving into other places.
> If I am dropped out of communication to the point I can't do my job, then
> it is time for me to move out of this job and let someone else do it.

Matrix isn't a social network account. It's an open source federated
chat system.

My apologies for that misinformation. While a federated chat system is a network of servers for people being social,  I should not tie them in the same crappile as Social Networks where my logins and engagement are measured and sold.

Open source is good, but it is still yet another distraction that I have to learn
a) which tool I need to add as a screen to watch things
b) how to shut up from pinging me with 'blah mentioned you!', etc.
c) avoid spending hours looking at it as something to do versus work.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Stephen J Smoogen.