Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2020-11-11)

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 03:37:11PM -0500, Alexander Scheel wrote:
> I second what Robbie has said as well.
>
> I am against the thought of this change.
>
> As my team has found out within Red Hat, this repo split has been a
> large PITA. Because RHEL also won't self-host and many sub-packages
> are missing from released bits that are otherwise available in e.g.,
> BUILDROOT, building our bits in COPR for QE to test has been an
> impossible battle. After close to a year, this use case still hasn't
> been enabled internally.

But that's not what's being proposed. We've had different repos in Fedora
for years -- the main repo, plus updates, plus updates-testing. And we have
the separate modularity one now. Fedora is going to continue to self-host,
and doesn't have whatever business reason RHEL has for not shipping the
buildroot.

> Consider also what other groups such as COPR have to do to support
> repo splits. Yeah, it might be quick to split it in Koji and repo
> files, but the impact on other teams and contributors is a huge
> negative. If people have to go searching for special repos and
> dependencies to build their packages, the developer experience of
> Fedora will suffer more. That will push more people to Ubuntu.

I'm not suggesting anything that would require anyone to "go searching for
special repos".

All that said, I think we can implement something that serves the purpose
I'm looking for as metadata.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>