Re: video meeting to discuss Matrix/Element and IRC

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 1:09 PM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19/11/2020 18:55, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >>
> >> No, please. IRC bridges need to be closed to force users to switch
> >> to Matrix.
> >
> > "force"?  You may have said the quiet bit aloud ...
>
> yes, it got my attention too
>
> I'm not going to give a firm recommendation for or against any platform
> but I'd like to make two suggestions:
>
> a) why not slow the process down and allow more ideas to come forward?
> There is no urgent need to change things in a month or whatever.
>
> b) it is really important to look at the organizational factors and not
> just the technical factors.  Today, too many organizations allow their
> culture to be shaped by whatever tool is available.  I'll refrain from
> giving examples of the disasters that follow.  For any free software
> organization and any other type of organization too, it needs to be
> organization first, tool second.
>
> Maybe I will recommend a platform...

The move to having our own Matrix server is being driven by Fedora
subcommunities already wanting to move primacy from IRC to Matrix.
Many of our adjunct upstreams have done so (Mozilla, KDE, etc.) or are
in the process of doing so (GNOME, openSUSE, etc.).

The intent isn't to drop IRC as a gateway to these communities, and
indeed the Freenode IRC channels would remain bridged to the Fedora
Matrix server.

To be blunt, we're struggling to get new folks to come talk to us on
IRC. Our largest user community is on Discord today, which eclipses
*everything* else by a wide margin. Next up is Telegram, which we have
been using somewhat for years through influence by the Russian Fedora
community who brought it to us in the first place. Neither of these
platforms are FOSS, and we want to provide a rich real-time
communications platform that is FOSS and open in many of the same ways
that IRC is. Matrix is open, federated, and gaining share in the
marketplace, making it a solid replacement for IRC. And unlike
alternatives, maintaining links to historical IRC channels with Matrix
rooms is easy and straightforward.

We want to be approachable, and we want to be appealing. Right now,
our usage of IRC hurts us. The Matrix makeover can help smooth out
those issues without leaving behind the folks who prefer the IRC
interface.