Re: Upstream SPEC files - was: Re: patch applied without package maintainers' approve

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 09:01:15AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-11-16 at 09:22 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >
> > (More generally: what would the point of keeping an "upstream" spec
> > file be?
>
> One common reason is to integrate maintenance and testing with code
> maintenance and testing, particularly to include package builds in CI
> runs.

That argument does sound somewhat reasonable, but I don't think it
actually holds much water.

Essentially, packages which do CI are packages which use modern build
systems. And with the modern build systems the spec file doesn't need to
be tweaked after each version bump. If a "modern" package needs the spec
file to be constantly adjusted just to build than something is very wrong.

I expect that the great majority of projects that do CI are just fine
with using the "downstream" spec file, which can be easily pulled in
from dist-git for the build. Doing this also has the obvious advantage
that you can do CI on more than one downstream platform, using different
spec files or debian control files or whatever arch has, as appropriate,
without polluting the upstream repo with a dozen of downstream-specific
build instructions.

Buuuut, even if it turns out that it's easier to keep the spec file in
upstream, the upstream can have copy of the spec file and that spec
file can diverge from the Fedora version. All that needs to happen is
that the changes are periodically synchronized (e.g. right before the
version bump in Fedora).

Zbyszek