Re: F34 Change proposal: Compress Kernel Firmware (Self-Contained Change)

Once upon a time, Martin Kolman <mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> I wonder if this can also help make the boot isos and installation images smaller ? I'm sure they haver some firmware on
> them. Or alternatively we could reduce the potentially quite meintenance intensive firmware culling we do at the moment.

One thing I hadn't realized until recently is that the kernel, core
modules, and some firmware are duplicated on the install ISOs.

First, on the ISO, vmlinuz and initrd.img are duplicated in the isolinux
and images/pxeboot directories.  Or are these maybe hardlinked?  I can't
remember if you can even do that on ISO.

Beyond that, the kernel is on the ISO in isolinux/vmlinuz, and inside
the rootfs image in both /boot and /usr/lib/modules/<version>.  The core
modules and some firmware are in the ISO in initrd.img as well as in the
rootfs image.

It'd be nice to remove some of that duplication - is there any reason to
have any vmlinuz inside the rootfs image?  Could modules and firmware
copied to the initrd.img be removed as well (and then referenced from
the different mount point as needed in the installer, or maybe bind
mounted back where they came from if needed)?  While this would make the
installer setup a little more complicated, it would save some space.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>