Re: F34 Change proposal: Compress Kernel Firmware (Self-Contained Change)

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:56:26PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Martin Kolman <mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > I wonder if this can also help make the boot isos and installation images smaller ? I'm sure they haver some firmware on
> > them. Or alternatively we could reduce the potentially quite meintenance intensive firmware culling we do at the moment.
>
> One thing I hadn't realized until recently is that the kernel, core
> modules, and some firmware are duplicated on the install ISOs.
>
> First, on the ISO, vmlinuz and initrd.img are duplicated in the isolinux
> and images/pxeboot directories.  Or are these maybe hardlinked?  I can't
> remember if you can even do that on ISO.
>
> Beyond that, the kernel is on the ISO in isolinux/vmlinuz, and inside
> the rootfs image in both /boot and /usr/lib/modules/<version>.  The core
> modules and some firmware are in the ISO in initrd.img as well as in the
> rootfs image.
>
> It'd be nice to remove some of that duplication - is there any reason to
> have any vmlinuz inside the rootfs image?  Could modules and firmware
> copied to the initrd.img be removed as well (and then referenced from
> the different mount point as needed in the installer, or maybe bind
> mounted back where they came from if needed)?  While this would make the
> installer setup a little more complicated, it would save some space.

I tried :) It ends up that there are users who boot the install.img with
fips=1 which means it needs to be present. It was removed for a bit, and
then I reverted the removal:

https://github.com/weldr/lorax/commit/3c745aed8d535cae8430161192e0a1505c212c89

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart