Re: Btrfs question for Fedora 33 beta. How can I add nocow to /var

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 8:20 PM Leslie Satenstein via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am looking to some performance considerations for the /etc/fstab  btrs default config generated by anaconda.
>
> It appears to have created a subvol for root (root00) and for home (home00).
> I would like to put in /opt with it's subvol, and to migrate the /var to a subvol where I can specify nodatacow.

You can set nodatacow per filesystem, subvolume, directory, or file.

But realize it also means no checksums and no compression. It's nice
to have for very specific cases, like VM images, and not have to carve
up your drive to optimize for such workloads. But I'm not sure you'll
see a dramatic difference in performance outside of those specific
cases. Also note that nodatacow needs to be set before the file is
created.

The main point of making subvolumes is to have different snapshotting
policies, and possibly also different send/receive replication
strategies (e.g. backup). For example some folks might consider the
entirety of /var something that doesn't ver need to be snapshot or
backed up. Making it a subvolume means it can have it's own regime,
separate from the root subvolume.

> Leaving /var as  a directory under /, without specifying nodatacow concerns me as it is a very "busy" directory, and can fill up the root00 subvol quite quickly.

What about nodatacow makes you think root is less likely to fill up,
for a given workload? I'm not following what problem you think you
might have, that you're trying to avoid.

> I tried to create the two subvars, without success.  I even went so far as to examine the grub menu entries.

What did you try? How did it fail?

> Is this not possible with Fed33 beta?

Fedora doesn't apply any limitations.

--