Re: Btrfs question for Fedora 33 beta. How can I add nocow to /var

Hi  Chris,

This weekend past, I did create /opt and /var as subvolumes.  For the empty /opt, it was easy. For /var, it took the live ISO to help with moving directory /var to subvolume /var
I also intend to do the same with /sys on this, my beta system, Later this week I will install the "release version" on a second drive as a second system, when it is available.

The rational for my doing the subvolume exercise is the following:
1) Under default installation, each snapfile of root has a copy of  all subdirectories including active /var, and /sys. I noted that /var/log and /var/cache is rather volatile. My SSD size is 120gigs
2) By isolating /var, /opt and /sys   the root snapshot becomes less bloated.
3) The /sys directory rarely has changes according to my survey of directory and file dates.  One subvolume taken when there is a change is OK for me.
4) But /var/log is quite active, as is /var/cache.  I will be using btrfs defragment on /var.
5) Having /var as nodatacow puts /var to the same risk level as when /var was on the ext4 system.

I will be using fstrim -a (to do SSD trims) and I want to user snapper, to manage the subvolume snapshots. The generations of snapshots for /var and / will be my objective.
I will be using crontab and a script to take snapshots just before  the script launches  "sudo dnf update -y".

This switch to btrfs  is a learning experience for me.  Fedora is my passion, From my studies, I may discover that you are absolutely right to state that I do not need to make the extra subvolumes.
The advantage I have over you is my career. It is called "retirement"­. Retirement comes with spare time to study, to learn, to write code, to explore, experiment and to share experiences.