Re: our containers with alias vim=vi

On 10/12/20 5:15 PM, Joe Doss wrote:
> On 10/12/20 1:50 AM, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> This would break using Vim when vim-minimal and vim-enhanced are
>> installed (it would start Vi instead of typed Vim). To make it work,
>> vim-minimal would have to conflict with vim-enhanced, which doesn't make
>> sense - Vi and Vim binaries can exist together just fine.
>
> I have vim-enhanced and vim-minimal installed
>
> # rpm -qa |grep vim
> vim-common-8.2.1770-1.fc33.x86_64
> vim-filesystem-8.2.1770-1.fc33.noarch
> vim-minimal-8.2.1770-1.fc33.x86_64
> vim-enhanced-8.2.1770-1.fc33.x86_64
>
> and when I type vi it launches vim.
I'm sorry I forgot about this alias - yes, there is an alias which is
applied when both - vim-minimal and vim-enhanced - are installed so it
launches 'vim' when you type 'vi'. I would say less people will complain
if something has more features than if it has less, so I'm content with
this alias.

> # whereis vi
> vi: /usr/bin/vi /usr/share/man/man1p/vi.1p.gz /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1.gz
> # /usr/bin/vi --version
> VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Sep 29 2020 00:00:00)
>
> It doesn't look like these are existing together just fine. It seems
> that vim takes over vi. Shouldn't these conflict and only one can be
> installed over the other?
'Vi' as the original project is no longer (I'm not sure for how long)
shipped in Fedora. 'Vi' we ship is just 'VIM' compiled with 'small' set
of features (f.e. without syntax highlighting) to mimic the original
'Vi'. So if you run 'vi --version' it always shows 'VIM'.

>> In the end I find it incorrect to mislead users by default by telling
>> them 'Vim works' but Vi is run instead - Vi and Vim don't have the same
>> set of features, which may lead into bug reports caused by this mistake.
>
> Isn't that the reverse behavior detailed above? I type vi on Fedora
> Workstation it launches vim? I assume this isn't causing bug reports.
You're right, as I wrote above - aliasing vi->vim doesn't seem as a
problem to me, but aliasing vim->vi as clime suggested can cause mislead
for users.

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer