Re: opam2rpm (licensing)

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 04:43:09PM -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> I made the possibly controversial decision to write opam2rpm in
> python.  I did this so that I could borrow code and ideas from other
> spec file generators, many of which are written in python.  If this
> proves to be a sticking point with the other OCaml package
> maintainers, I am not opposed to porting it to OCaml, but will need a
> fair amount of help to do so.
I don't think this should be controversial. Both ocaml and python are
good languages to write this kind of tool, but what's more important is
dependencies and prior art that can be copied. And python wins in this
regard because of all the other converters that are already there.

> The current version owes much to go2rpm.  Thank you, go2rpm developers!
> 6. Talk to the go2rpm developers about breaking licensing.py and
> spdx_to_fedora.csv out into a separate project.  Note that I fixed
> some incorrect LGPL entries in the version in opam2rpm.

No, please don't do that. go2rpm should not have done that either.
The original location of licensing.py is in rust2rpm, and it should not
be copied. It is an importable python module:
>>> from rust2rpm import licensing
>>> licensing.translate_license_fedora('GPL-2.0 or GPL-2.0-or-later')
Upstream license tag GPL-2.0 translated to GPLv2
Upstream license tag GPL-2.0-or-later translated to GPLv2+
('GPLv2 or GPLv2+', None)

It gets occasionally updated when people report missing licenses or
translation bugs, and having _multiple_ copies in the distro is just
going to lead to frustration.

If there's anything missing or broken in the canonical version, please
open a bug against rust2rpm.

Longer-term, I think the licensing submodule could become more
prominent and a top-level thing of its own. The data should be
converted from CSV to something sane. We should try to coalesce all
the other redundant lists of licenses, including
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Software_License_List.

Zbyszek