Re: F34 Change proposal: Debug Info LLDB Index (System-Wide change)

On 9/30/20 2:33 AM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 02:11:34 +0200, Neal Gompa wrote:
Why don't you add an lldb-add-index tool to generate LLVM indexes for
LLDB?
Because doing it separately like GDB does is a wrong thing for
edit-compile-debug cycle. When clang (lld for LTO) has all the data incl. IR
already in memory it can much more faster produce the index for it.

With gdb-add-index it is questionable whether to use it or not for
edit-compile-debug cycles. If you run debugger just once for the compiled
program it is slower to generate + use the index just once than to run the
debugger without any index.

The index production performance does not matter much for rpmbuild as that
takes a long time anyway. But keeping the end-user edit-compile-debug cycle
unified with rpm build process makes the code path more tested and more
simple.

But there really isn't a edit-compile-debug cycle in play here -- so you may be right in the general case, but for RPM package builds it's a lot less clear.

It also seems to me that we would want the index regardless of the toolchain being used to build the executable or DSO.  I can't think of a good reason why someone who prefers lldb would have to suffer from worse performance because the system binary/library they need to debug was built with GCC.    And ISTM that if we want both index styles on all binaries and DSOs, then using the post-install step like lldb-add-index would make a lot more sense.

Jeff