Re: This is bad, was Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 17:50 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 5:44 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:33 pm, Graham Leggett <minfrin@xxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > To step in here, regulatory compliance is a non optional requirement
> > > around the world.
> > >
> > > Regulatory compliance applies to everybody in a jurisdiction, there
> > > is no such thing as a “specialized deployment” or environments
> > > where it “will not matter”. Compliance doesn’t care about an
> > > arbitrary freeze.
> > >
> > > This is not a technical decision.
> >
> > This is either a very strange misunderstanding, or trolling. I will
> > assume positive intent. Internet RFCs are not regulatory requirements.
> > If you're aware of some government regulation that requires us to
> > forward RRSEC records, I would be very surprised, but please do let us
> > know.
> >

> Also, in case folks weren't aware, IETF RFCs are *intentionally* not
> described as standards. They are designed to be subject to revision at
> more or less any time. That's why they are titled as a "Request for
> Comments" (or RFC). The fact that they are used as standards
> documentation is sort of the nature of how things developed from an
> era where it was impossible to publish standards for free
> (organizations like the ISO require paying money for standards
> documentation).

Sorry Neal, but this is not correct, in IETF there are several RFC
types:
- standard
- informational
- experimental
- best current practice
etc..

There are *definitely* officially defined by IETF "Standard" RFC, but
not all RFC are standard for sure.

> But this also has the consequence that IETF RFCs do not have a
> requirement to be evaluated in the context of others and determined to
> be fully satisfiable along others. That is, it's possible to have
> mutually exclusive RFCs for a system that you have to implement.

This is true, but much less so for standard RFCs.

> So please keep that in mind when considering discussing DNS.

Always use a grain of salt with *any* standards, even ISO standards are
often made by mandatory and optional parts, and sometimes they are
conflicting too ... and then there are standards from different
organizations that may be in partial conflict as well, welcome to the
world :-)

--
Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team