Re: Fedora EOL wrt new dist-git branches (and my confusion)

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 03:11:39PM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 5:03 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 18, 2020, 17:03 Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> So, my question is: Should we fix the document to describe the long
> >> standing
> >> practice more understandably, or should we change the practice to allow
> >> new
> >> dist-git branches until the actual EOL?
> >>

> > I'm in favor of allowing new branches until the actual EOL, with the
> > expectation that it will be a pretty rare occurrence. We shouldn't preclude
> > ourselves from providing support to a supported release.
> >

> Tangent nit-pick... Once an update has been created for a branch, why not
> at least allow it to go to stable? Seeing my packages stuck in testing for
> eternity bothers my OCD until I push enough updates I don't see it anymore.

We could push all the testing updates stable at the end... but...
that means there would be a flood of changes of things that didn't meed
testing requirements, and additionally we could never fix any problems
that happen because of that.

Perhaps it would be better to unpush all the pending ones at eol?

kevin