Fedora EOL wrt new dist-git branches (and my confusion)

Hello,

As many of you know, Fedora has an EOL policy that roughly tl;drs to:

"Fedora N goes to End of Life 4 weeks after Fedora N+2 Final Release (GA)."

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle

The document also says:

> Branches for new packages in the SCM are not allowed for distribution X after
> the Fedora X+2 release and new builds are no longer allowed.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle#End_of_Life_.28EOL.29

I've recently discovered that for 10+ years, this was interpreted as:

 1. at release of Fedora N+2, new dist-git branches for N are no longer allowed
 2. 4 weeks later, Fedora N is EOL

https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9759#comment-687136

When I was told this, I found it very surprising. Mostly because we usually only ever announce the actual EOL deadline and I've never seen an announcement that says: "From now on, no new packages for Fedora N are possible."

But also because it doesn't really make sense to me. I can imagine a case when a bug in Fedora N can be fixed by adding a new package (for example when we accidentally introduce a new dependency) and I don't understand why this should not be possible between Fedora N+2 release and Fedora N EOL. Understandably many packagers might decide to WONTFIX at that point ("It's going EOL in couple weeks anyway"), but if they choose to fix, we should allow them to do so.

Similarly, before Fedora N is EOL, it is considered supported, and a need to introduce a new package to a supported Fedora version IMHO is valid, regardless of the approaching EOL.

So, my question is: Should we fix the document to describe the long standing practice more understandably, or should we change the practice to allow new dist-git branches until the actual EOL?

--
Miro Hrončok