Re: btrfs / booting alternative OS versions from subvolumes

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 3:48 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed another thread about subvolumes already exists, I'm starting
> this one for the very specific topic of installing multiple root
> filesystems as subvolumes
>
> Examples: Fedora 33 in one subvolume, Fedora rawhide in another
> subvolume, Fedora 33 32-bit in another subvolume, maybe RHEL in a
> subvolume too
>
> Can this be supported by the installer?
>
> Can it be supported by grub?
>
> If somebody installs their OS to the top level of their btrfs today, can
> they pivot that into a subvolume later?
>
> All these OS installs would shared some things like /home

It's generally possible when narrowing the parameters. There's a new
QA test case for preserving /home use case. The intent of the use case
is not dual boot but rather merely to ensure the user's home subvolume
is reused when clean installing. This is possible with LVM+ext4 layout
because /home is a separate file system; merely reformatting the root
and reusing its space for a new /. Whereas with Btrfs, in fact the old
root is also preserved (not destroyed), it's effectively left alone
and abandoned (its fate is not addressed in the test case).

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_partitioning_custom_btrfs_preserve_home

There is a variation on this test case that's still in draft form. It
could be a starting point for further describing exactly what
conditions we could support Fedora multiboot. Right now Fedora release
criteria only specify dual boot in relation to Windows and macOS, not
any other Linux distribution including Fedora. While much of the
possibility for supporting dual boot Fedora goes to the BootLoaderSpec
effort, the Btrfs by default effort makes it's more space efficient to
support.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sumantrom/Draft/dualboot_f33_btrfs

Neither of these take into account any sort of snapshot/rollback
regime. That's a bit more complicated. But on the plus side, there is
a rather straightforward way to have combinations: Server +
Workstation, Workstation + KDE, Workstation + Silverblue. For the
adventurous and ultra efficiency seekers, such installations would be
highly prone to being deduped. Of course from the DE's perspective,
these are still completely separate installations, with separate
system updates, separate RPM databases, and so on.

--
Chris Murphy