Re: btrfs / booting alternative OS versions from subvolumes

On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 11:48:18 +0200
Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed another thread about subvolumes already exists, I'm starting
> this one for the very specific topic of installing multiple root
> filesystems as subvolumes
>
> Examples: Fedora 33 in one subvolume, Fedora rawhide in another
> subvolume, Fedora 33 32-bit in another subvolume, maybe RHEL in a
> subvolume too
>
> Can this be supported by the installer?
>
> Can it be supported by grub?
>
> If somebody installs their OS to the top level of their btrfs today,
> can they pivot that into a subvolume later?
>
> All these OS installs would shared some things like /home

I've been doing something like this for the past few Fedora releases.
Each release has it's own subvolume, including a /boot directory.
I use refind to select the subvolume I want and boot the kernel
directly.  I don't use grub2 since I find its configuration too
arcane.  I also had to set this up manually since the installer at the
time didn't support it.  Each time a new Fedora release comes out, I
create snapshot of my Fedora N, boot into it, and upgrade to Fedora
N+1.  If the update goes wrong, I boot Fedora N, delete the snapshot,
and try again.  Once I am happy with the upgrade, I delete the old
subvolume.

I don't believe that it is possible to snapshot the root of a btrfs
filesystem.

I don't really do multiboot however, especially for a production
machine.  I use virtual machines and containers to access other
operating systems.

Jim